Tuesday, March 14, 2006

I'm Back/March Madness/WBC

That was a long break due mainly to just laziness. I have been fairly busy with work, poker, menial tasks and outings in the OKC. Last weekend I hit the Hornets/Pacers game and was fairly disappointed in a couple of things: 1) the Hornets played lack-luster basketball and lost and 2) a brawl nearly broke out when Chris Paul was fouled excessively hard and Desmond Mason stepped in to assist in any needed ass-whoopins but the referees quickly diffused the situation to my great disappointment. I thought at minimum there was a small chance that a Pistons/Pacers type brawl could break out, Stephen Jackson would enter the stands and hit me in the face, and BLAMMMO instant Poker Bankroll. It wasn't to be.

The past weekend was also big in that Sunday was indeed Selection Sunday which sets us sports fans for one of the best months of the year. This year I have less college basketball knowledge than I normally have because I have been paying extra attention on the NBA because of our own Hometown Hornets. I think this lack of knowledge may assist me in filling out a more accurate bracket as it seems the more you know about these college hoops teams the worse you pick the games. As of yet I've not entered into any paid contests for the brackets and I don't plan on doing so, but I have entered a few pride contests amongst groups of which I am associated with (now that's anonymity at its finest).

The WBC is in its 2nd round and the US snuck out a win against the venerable Japanese team with the assistance of a controversial call that took away a run scored on a sacrifice fly by Japan. A-Rod came up clutch for a change on a well struck ball that trickled through the Japanese infield for the game winning single with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th inning. Last night though a new favorite has emerged in this inaugural World Baseball Classic as the Korean team punished the US 7-3 and remained as the only unbeaten team in this contest. I still think that the Dominican lineup will be tough to beat as they can score with anyone and will more than likely win the entire tourney unless their pitchers totally abandon them.

As far as poker goes not too many exciting events happened. Played a few cash games with some small success and played more low level Turbo S&G's on Lee Jones's site. What is frustrating is making all the right moves when play gets to 6 handed in those 18 man S&G's and either not getting action on your monsters (all folded when I had KK, QQ, AA twice) and then getting sucked out on by the shortstack when you do get action (my second KK got snapped off when the shortstack flat called my 3x BB raise with A9o and hit his A on the flop). Oh well, I am making the correct decisions and I know in the long run they will pay off. I will attempt to incorporate more poker in the blog in the near future, but before I can do that I need to incorporate more poker in my life on the virtual felt. Until next time, this is the Cubs' year.

3 Comments:

At Tue Mar 14, 03:16:00 PM CST, Blogger jwald said...

Seung Yeop Lee is the best player in the MLB to date. The US team is making a run at the US Olympic Basketball Team as the biggest disappointment in US Professional Sports. OKC has a basketball team?

 
At Tue Mar 14, 03:23:00 PM CST, Blogger jwald said...

I might have miss read you're last sentence. But, i hope that you didn't say what i thought you said. Who are the CUBS??? i know, i know, that is a low blow for the north side of Chicago.

 
At Tue Mar 14, 03:36:00 PM CST, Blogger Randy G said...

Yes that's right this is the Cubs' year. Well at least that is what all us Cubs fans state at the beginning of every season. And yes, the OKC Hornets are an NBA franchise temporarily/permanently relocated to the Ford Center in Oklahoma because of the destruction wrought by Hurricane Katrina.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home