Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Baseball's Big Loss

The baseball world has lost a big man, literally and figuratively. Kirby Puckett has passed at age 45 and the Minnesota Twins and MLB lost what was at one time, not only one of the best CF's of all-time but more importantly the shining face of a franchise and sport. The man was solely responsible for sending the '91 Series against the Braves into one of the best game 7's to ever be witnessed on Earth with a dramatic homerun and tremendous defensive play. I had no personal stake in that series (although I was a defacto Braves fan since my Cubs were sitting at home during the 90's in October) other than a huge baseball fan and that was the most exciting World Series I can remember. Thank you Kirby for that and all you did for the game and the Minnesota community. If not for you I'm not sure baseball would have survived up in that great region of our country. Rest In Peace.

2 Comments:

At Tue Mar 07, 04:58:00 PM CST, Blogger jwald said...

I hated the way that Sports Center described his life. After explaining his on field successes, they went ahead and drug his name through the mud one last time, with the court appearances, divorce, domestic violence. He was bigger than life to alot of baseball fans and that is the way that he should be remembered.

 
At Tue Mar 07, 08:22:00 PM CST, Blogger Randy G said...

I agree. When people pass I think I always remember them for their successes and the way they helped others in their life as opposed to recalling mistakes they have made.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home